Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grants, NM

  Greetings from Grants, NM! We are taking a little extra time in town because my feet have been suffering from a lot of painful blisters.  My old shoes are worn out and I just revceived a new pair today and Im hoping they will help my feet. I opted to walk in my flip flops the other day when we got to a long road walk because my feet were so sore.  Many hikers feet swell after all the miles we put in and it is not uncommon for us to need to get a larger size shoe. The shoes I started in were a half size too big and are now too small, but the new ones fit and I'm hoping my feet will stay the same size :)
  It has only been a few days since we left Pie Town, and the trail has mostly been on roads, both paved and dirt.  The day we left town we hiked 30 miles and here is a picture of the road we were following. This was taken in the evening about 28 miles in.


   Tonight we are staying with the wonderful trail angels in town, Carole and Hugo, and a number of other hikers are coming over soon for dinner.  Our plan is to hike out tomorrow morning, and by mid day we will be on top of Mount Taylor, the highest mountain in New Mexico at over 11,000 feet, the highest I have hiked before!

Here are a few more pictures from over the past week or so that I hope you will enjoy.
-Jetpack

View of the Gila cliff dwellings

Inside the Cliff dwellings

Near the Gila cliff dwellings

Eating some delicious PIE in Pie Town!


A great water source


Crossing the Gila river

Near the Middle Fork of the Gila River



No comments:

Post a Comment